Alterations and modifications

We want you to feel comfortable in your home and we understand that sometimes you would like to make some changes. We can help and give advice, as some work will need our permission before it goes ahead. 

How do I request for an alteration or modification?

Before you do any works in your property (excluding decorating), you must contact your housing officer for an informal chat about what you would like to do.

You must then write to us to get our approval before erecting, removing or installing (this list is not exhaustive): 

  • Walls, roofs, windows, doors & floors (with exception to carpets) 
  • Electrical sockets/fittings 
  • Central heating including radiators and pipework. 
  • Gas fires & electrical suites 
  • Kitchen units & bathroom fittings inc showers 
  • Garages, sheds, and outhouses 
  • Fences & gates and pathways
  • Hard standings/dropped kerbs 
  • Porches, windows, doors, lean to’s and conservatories 
  • Water meters 
  • Fish ponds and outside taps. 
  • Retaining garden walls / major garden improvements including tree felling
  • Driveways
  • External decoration

In some cases, improvements or alterations may require building regulations approval or planning permission. If this is the case, we will forward your enquiries to the relevant department.  If you require advice or clarification on improvements or alterations, please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss your proposal first. 

What happens next?

Once we have given consent, you are responsible for the works and making sure that they comply with our terms. 

You may need to provide us with compliance certificates etc once the works are complete. 

We may inspect the works following completion.

If works are carried out without permission, we may put your home back to the way it was, which may incur a recharge to you. We can refuse permission if we consider the work dangerous or if it reduces the value or restricts the property in anyway. 

To apply, contact us.